The Governing Board approved a new dress code which was developed by teachers, principals, and parents from every school site in the district. The dress code policy and requirements are as follows:
Dress and Grooming
Kings Canyon Unified School District is an exemplary district. The primary function of the KCUSD standard dress attire policy is to establish a safe and secure learning environment that reflects positive student choice. The district standard dress attire policy will be enforced consistently and fairly on school campuses and at school sponsored functions.
Schools are responsible for notifying students and parents/guardians in a timely manner of established site standards.
Educationally Appropriate Dress and Grooming
Any apparel, hair style, cosmetic or jewelry, even if not specifically mentioned below, which creates a safety concern, draws undue attention to the wearer, or tends to detract from the educational process is prohibited unless addressed elsewhere in this regulation.
1. Headwear: District approved headwear must be worn outside only. Any student entering a room or building must remove
the headwear prior to entering. Only district approved hats will be allowed at school, unless a doctor's note is provided.
- Hats must be khaki or white cloth type, with a 2" brim that encircles the entire hat. The hat must be free of any insignias or markings except for the individual's name written inside in one-inch block letters.
- A parent/guardian may elect to purchase a hat from a source other than the school/district. However, the hat must be preapproved by the site administrator prior to the wearing of the hat by the student.
- During after school activities open to the public, only headwear that is not gang related may be worn.
- Knit caps are allowed during cold and/or inclement weather.
2. Sunglasses: Sunglasses are not to be worn unless prescribed by a physician or authorized by the principal for special events.
3. Shoes: Shoes must be worn on campus and at school functions by all students. For safety reasons, students are not allowed to wear flip flops, shoes or sandals without heel straps.
4. Undergarments: Top garments shall be sufficient to conceal undergarments at all times.
5. Pants: Excessively baggy pants are not allowed. Pants may not extend beyond 5 inches (5") when measured at the kneecap of the straightened leg. Pants must fit and be worn no lower than 2 inches (2") below the natural waist. No frayed clothing is acceptable (manufactured or otherwise). Revealing outerwear such as tights, leggings, yoga pants, are not acceptable.
6. Shirts/Blouses: Shirts and blouses must have finished edges and be no longer than the top of the inseam. Tank tops, tube tops, halter tops, spaghetti straps, off the shoulder blouses, bare midriffs, see through, or oversized shirts that present a safety concern or draw undue attention is not acceptable.
7. Hem Lines: All dresses, skirts, shorts, and pants must have a finished hem. Shorts must have at least a 4-inch (4") inseam. Skirts and dresses may be no shorter than 4 inches(4") above the knee.
Students Dress and Grooming
8. Dangerous Attire: Attire which may be used as a weapon may not be worn, including but not limited to steel toed boots, chains, items with spikes or studs, and other items deemed inappropriate by the principal and/or school site council.
9. Fashions: Fashions that draw undue attention to the wearer and/or detract from the educational environment are not
acceptable. This includes exotic clothing, extreme make-up, tattoos, body piercing, military or camouflage attire, etc.
10. Facial and/or Body Piercing: Facial and/or Body Piercing is not acceptable with the exception of ears.
11. Hair Styles: Hair styles that draw undue attention and/or detract from the educational environment are not acceptable; i.e.
unusual designs, unnatural colors, mohawks, tails, unusual razor cuts (including eyebrows), or extensive sculpting.
12. Gang Related Apparel: Gang related apparel is not acceptable. The district will collaborate with Law Enforcement Agencies to
update changes in gang-related apparel as necessary. Any clothing or apparel that a student or group of students wear to
identify themselves for the purpose of harassing, threatening or intimidating others will not be allowed.
13. Jackets: Jackets and other apparel depicting professional sports teams shall not be worn.
Exceptions to Regulations
Generally, these neutral dress and grooming rules will be applied to all students. Religious beliefs and/or medical requirements may be grounds for an exception to a specific portion of the KCUSD Dress Code with specific advance approval from the District. A petition for an exemption from enforcement of a specified portion of KCUSD Dress Code should be submitted to the Principal.
Under no circumstances will the Principal allow an exception for dress or grooming that displays gang symbols, uses profanity or displays products or slogans that promote tobacco, alcohol, drugs or sex.
Clothing with Writing, Symbols, Pictures and Insignia
Articles of clothing, jewelry or personal effects (back packs, fanny packs, binders, gym bags, buttons, water bottles, etc.) are not allowed if those items contain writing, symbols, pictures, or insignia that:
1. Display gang-related symbols
2. Use profanity
3. Display products or slogans which promote tobacco, alcohol, drugs or sex
4. Disrupt the educational process
5. Are obscene, libelous, or slanderous
6. Create a clear and present danger of the commission of unlawful acts, violation of school regulations, or injury to students, staff,
7. Violate state hate-crime laws
Any clothing or apparel that a student or group of students wear to identify themselves for the purpose of harassing, threatening, or intimidating others will not be allowed. With regard to this section, school-site personnel do not have the discretion to create stricter dress and grooming standards at the school site, and personnel do not have the discretion to create exceptions to these requirements.
Students who fail to follow the provisions of this policy will be held accountable in accordance with established district/site discipline policy.